Have you ever searched for that perfect project for car trips? Or carpools lines or waits at doctors’ offices? And wouldn’t be great if it was also a project that made great use of scraps?
This is Bejeweled and, at 72″ x 102″, she is all those things. (Fabrics are from Modern Whimsy, by Laurie Wishburn for Robert Kaufman.) I really designed her to be a great-looking bed quilt, but you can easily change her size by adding more columns.
The pieced columns of this quilt are made from either a 10″ square (layer cake) or 2-1/2″ roll-up, so it is a really versatile pattern. Ohhhh – if you had collections of coordinating scraps from your favorite designer’s collections this would be great.
My mouth waters when I look at Deborah Norris’ quilting. I could not accomplish it, but don’t need to because I know someone who can.
Since you are quilters I will show you the back…
Even better, directions are included for a lap-sized quilt using pieced strips cut from a charm pack. Here is one made from a Kona Brights charm pack with yo-yos and borders in Kona Ash.
Bejeweled will start shipping to shops and distributors late next week, but in the meantime here is what you need for the bed-sized version of this quilt:
- Striped Columns – 29 (10”) squares or 29 (2-1/2” x WOF) strips
- Background – 4 yards (Kona® 1387 White)
- Yo-yos – 3 yards total from an assortment of fabrics (Kona® 1188 Kiwi, 1089 Corn Yellow, 1009 Azure)
- Border – 1-1/4 yard
- Binding – 3/4 yard for straight grain binding or 1-1/8 yard for bias binding
- Backing – 6-1/2 yards
- Clover Quick Large Yo-yo Maker (#8701) optional
- Striped Columns – 42 (5”) squares (Kona® Bright charm pack)
- Background – 1-1/2 yards (Kona® Ultra White)
- Yo-yos – 1-1/2 yards (Kona® 1007 Ash)
- Border – 3/4 yard (Kona® 1007 Ash)
- Binding – 3/4 yard (Kona® 1007 Ash)
- Backing – 4 yards (Kona® 1007 Ash)
- Clover Quick Large Yo-yo Maker (#8701)
Happy sewing (and yo-yoing)!